Takes 20 mins | Serves 4
GF, NF*, SF, OF*
Ever batch cook for the week, then get bored with the same old flavours day in day out?
Meet Kate's Plate. With my brand new Guest Chef - Kate Hall from Ethically Kate. Kate is New Zealand's leading sustainability maven (and she does it with such flair), and is passionate about inspiring you to live a more conscious eco-friendly lifestyle. She's a pretty out there kind of gal (as you'll soon see), and the dish she's sharing with us today is equally wild!
Set aside any reservations you have - when we sat down to this magnificent plate, oh my, it was a party in my mouth. So many flavours and textures - it works in a way I've never experienced before.
In this episode you'll also learn…
- How to regrow your spring onions (so you don't have to buy more)
- How to make homemade vege stock with your cut offs (without them going mouldy)
- And, what to do with your banana peels (hint: it involves your house plants)
As Kate says, there are no rules with a Kate's Plate - go wild, tune in to what's in your fridge, and get ready for a taste bud bonanza. Once you've learned these techniques, you'll never have to go the store for a specific ingredient again!
Watch this episode now - I can't wait to hear what you think.
4 medium sized potatoes, boiled
2 spring onions, finely sliced
2 tbsp chopped chives
few borage leaves / edible weeds (optional)
1 red onion, diced
⅓ c vegan aioli / mayo
½ tsp apple cider vinegar
½ c pumpkin seeds
Sautéed cauliflower leaves
Handful cauliflower outer leaves, sliced
1 c kale, sliced
1 c red cabbage, chopped
½ tsp turmeric
½ c almonds, toasted
400g can chickpeas, drained
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp salt
1 banana, sliced
juice of ¼ lemon
¼ c desiccated coconut
1 cucumber, sliced in batons
2 plums, sliced
- Potato Salad: Mix together, then keep chilled while preparing the other components so the flavours can intensify.
- Sautéed Cauliflower Leaves: Sauté in a little olive oil or water. Toast the almonds in a small pan for a few minutes until golden, then set aside ready to sprinkle on top.
- Toasted Chickpeas: Toast together in a frying pan with a little olive oil.
- Coconut Banana: Covered bananas in lemon juice, then toss in coconut.
- Slice the cucumber and plums, then layer into individual bowls with each component placed separately.
- Gluten free: As is.
- Nut free: Swap the almonds for pumpkin, sunflower, or hemp seeds.
- Sugar free: As is.
- Oil free: Cook the cauli leaf medley and chickpeas in a little water instead of oil.
- Weight loss: Serve ½ cup potato salad with 1 cup cauli leaves, ¼ cup coconut banana, and ½ cup toasted chickpeas. Essential the exact recipe above, split into the four suggested portions.
- Sub ideas: Try kumara instead of potato; any herbs in the potato salad that are growing in your garden; celery instead of the borage leaves; green beans or broccoli stems instead of cabbage / cauli leaves; walnuts or pumpkin seeds instead of almonds; cannellini, kidney or black beans instead of chickpeas; and any fresh fruit instead of plums.